Tuesday 26 July 2011

four & Twenty exercises.

I mentioned the Four & Twenty website recently. The object is to be as creative and poetic as possible using only four lines and twenty words. I tried this out and it's a good discipline especially if you don't usually write very short poems.I don't except the odd Haiku. Here are some of the things I came up with.I've submitted a few as well so I shall be interested to see if any are accepted by four & Twenty.


Leaves.

Blue sky shines warmly down.
On our sun-kissed lives today.
Soon autumn leaves, twirling, brown.
Will indicate summer’s swift decay.


Dreams.

My dreams in random cruelty
Invade my nights of peace.
I gasp and turn fruitlessly
Wrapped in damp twisted sheets.


Thoughts.

The river twists so sinuously
A metaphor for dreaming thoughts.
That wriggle so inside me
Like twenty silver fishes caught.


Stories.

Stories draw me closely in.
Unfolding tales of adventure found.
My imagination now slowly spins.
Detached from life’s solid ground.


Letter.

Words lie upon a page.
Sent in love most secret.
Response would take an age.
I shall simply keep it.


Moonlight.

Moonlight falls like silver mist.
I walk into the evening.
My shadow dances behind me.
A sprite at my heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment