Sunday 7 August 2011

Poetry readings.

I am looking back on yesterdays poetry reading held in Waterstones bookshop. Cheltenham. It was a good event. I saw a few other poets read and enjoyed their work. I also enjoyed reading my own set and found the audience very responsive. It is thoroughly rewarding to see the expressions on peoples faces when I am reading. It is an instant indicator of how well the words are being received (or not, occasionally). I also love the idea of reading poetry (or stories etc.) in a bookshop. It it so appropriate.It struck me recently that many people have never entered a bookshop in their lives and have never read poetry except for that which was force-fed to them in school. Personally I cannot imagine not having books. Words are such a huge part of my life. I find them fascinating. Interesting. Intriguing.I feel privileged to be able to write and to be able to stand up in front of people and express myself through my words. This is even more valuable to me now. Due to ill health and Arthritis I have had to give up at least three careers which I loved. All my creative outlets have been whittled away. My only creativity now is through writing,oh, and sometimes photography, though that is in the minority. I love words, and when I have a good reading and a good audience response, I can actually feel that the words are quite fond of me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment