Thursday 25 August 2011

I have won a competition.

I'm very pleased to have just received confirmation that my poem 'Tideline' has won the poetry section of this years Gloucester Writers Network Writing competition. I shall be delighted to read this poem at the GWN event held at Cheltenham Literature Festival in the autumn. I have put the list of winners and judges comment below. My congratulations to the winner of the Short story category. I don't think I know the writer but I look forward to hearing her story at the winners event.


Results of the 2011 Gloucestershire Writers’ Network ‘Discovery’ Competition

Poetry: Tide-line by Miki Byrne
Short story: Fairy Story by Sophie Livingston

Judges’ remarks:
Poetry: Tide-line stood out on first reading and the subsequent readings. We were treated to textures of grit and sand, Bladder wrack’s fat air sacks and the pink nacre of razor shells. The whole experience was well observed and beautifully choreographed, it made one want to continue along the beach, slow and wind-blown, to see what more could be discovered.
Short story: Fairy Story has all the qualities of a perfect short story; the voice is compelling, the pacing is superb, and the meaning emerges smoothly and powerfully. I wanted to read it over and over again. As a writer, I appreciated and admired this wonderfully crafted piece of work, and as a reader, I was utterly engaged in the emotional journey.

Poetry runners up:
A Rough Guide by Phil Kirby
Found and Lost by Christine Griffin
Diagnosis by Gill Garrett
James Phipps Finds his Voice by Stuart Nunn
The Ice Man by Michael Newman

Short story runners up:
Taming Caroline by Cindy Moss
Thirteen Age of Discovery by Guy Hunter
The Scenic Route by Edward James
The Box Room by Stephanie Smith
Mr Gravina by Michael Skaife d’Ingerthorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment