Thursday 6 October 2011

Acceptances and a hard nights work.

After coming home to three rejections last week I was cheered up yesterday by Friction Magazine accepting two of my poems. I am glad when circumstances redress the balance of effort put in.
Last night I was working on my first and probably only, novel. It was very difficult. It's a crime thriller and has heroes and villains. I was working on a scene that established the evil nature of one villain. I was writing a scene where was being violent towards the heroine. I dug deep into my own and anecdotal experiences. I found myself getting quite stressed by it. I abhor violence, especially mindless, cruel violence. Putting myself inside the head of someone who was prepared to attack and murder was quite traumatic. I hadn't expected it to be so visceral. I also didn't want the violence to be gratuitous or extreme, yet I did want the scene to be darkly atmospheric and believable. I finally finished the scene at god knows what time this morning feeling wrung out. I haven't read it back yet. I shall leave a couple of days and then see how it looks.

Also this week. I'm looking forward to reading my poem at the GWN event at the Cheltenham Lit. Fest. Hope you can be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment