Thursday 26 May 2011

Stuff I have worked on today.

Blood Cycle.

At birth I wore a red cowl
Gifted to me by my mother
And bled a few drops
As they pricked my rounded heel.
Then, each month with the moons tide
My own red stream swelled.
In between, the first man left a smear
upon my thigh and a sense of something lost.
I sent my own child forth in a warm red rush
to birth her and almost left this world
in that dark exsanguination. At times
my heart oozed, broken by loss and grief.
Its bloody chambers full to bursting
And sometimes it swelled with the fullness of joy.
I later closed my eyes to wait for the dark
To collect me. With rosy drops upon my lips
I coughed my life away. Now in my box I sleep.
Couched in crimson satin. The lid is closed
upon the life that strove to bleed me dry.

Skint in a High-rise Block.

Without the means they live
in uncomfortable places.
With the wallpaper stuck like a stamp
to the noise from next door.
The curtains don’t meet
and there’s not enough warmth.
Meters tick away their lives
in increments of gas and light.
Lifts are moveable toilets taking deals
up and down in shallows of ammonia.
And special brew shows the way out
and a glimpse of optimism.
That dies in the shadows
of next morning’s hangover.

Drought.

The Rain God sulked.
Hoarded precious water.
Refused to let it fall.
Crops withered
and tribes danced for him.
They pleaded for help.
The ground cracked,
Patterning the earth
With empty veins.
Waterholes shrank
And fish flopped
In shallow water.
The Rain God turned his back
And did not relent
And the Sun smiled in her supremacy.

These three poems are all first drafts so please don't consider them finished. They will take a while to shape into the final pieces.


The first poem came about because I was thinking of the significance that blood has in our lives, particularly if you are a woman. It began as a list of the times that blood is visible in a lifetime (without of course, surgery or accident. ) the words followed from there.

The second  poem happened when I saw a block of flats. I combined memories of when I lived in a block with images I have seen of high-rises in other places. 

The Drought poem is a follow-on from a piece of prose I wrote quite a while ago called The Anguish of the Rain God.It was published by Indigo Dreams press in one of their magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment